Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Flamingo - Flamingo - Pájaro Raro/Flamenco



When I think of the word flamingo...this is the picture that comes to mind. One beak, two long and skinny legs with pink feathers. 
Once again in Denmark I have learned that the word flamingo has another meaning...STYROFOAM.  (For the record, there does exist a technical term for it, Polystyren, but by and large the familiar name is flamingo) 

The first day after Christmas that the recycling center was open Finn and I joined the masses with our extra cardboard, "flamingo", and paper from the holidays.  There was a line that extended out onto the road, almost to the intersection of people waiting to recycle. 

Hvornår jeg tænk af det ord flamingo...de første billede i de her sidde er hvad jeg tænk af.  Et næb, to længe og tynde ben med lyserød fjere. 

Men en gange igen i Danmark har jeg lært et det ord flamingo har et anden betydning...det englsk ord styrofoam eller polystyren på dansk. 

Denne første dag efter Jul det genbrug centre var åben igen efter ferie, Finn og jeg var imellem af mange menneske som gernede "recycle" alle af deres ekstra pap, flamingo og gave papier fra ferie.  Der var en venter linje det var uden parkeringsplads næsten til vejkryds!


Cuando pienso en la palabra flamenco ... esta es la foto que viene a la mente. Un pico, dos patas largas y delgadas con plumas de color rosa.
Una vez más, en Dinamarca, he aprendido que el flamenco palabra tiene otro significado ... poliestireno. (Polystyren, pero en general el nombre familiar es flamenco)

El primer día después de Navidad que el centro de reciclaje estaba abierto Finn y yo uní a las masas con nuestro cartón extra, "Flamingo", y el papel de las vacaciones. Había una línea que se extendía a la carretera, casi a la intersección, de gente esperando para reciclar.

2 comments:

PiNG aka Patti said...

Hmmm.. I wonder why it's called that?

monica said...

Beats me?? I thought it was pretty funny...but then again,every time I ask Finn if we need a leaf for the table when we have extra guests for dinner, he looks at me like I am nuts too! I would love to know why they call it that though!