Monday, September 29, 2008

Breakfast and Lunch

Victory at last...Sophie's lunchbox next to Philip's

NOTE: There is a picture here that keeps popping out...I can't get it to stay, but I will keep trying!


Lunchboxes: Next to Philip's traditional madkasse Sophie's, Max's and Bailey's all seem so stereotypical American big.
They all remind me of my Wonderwoman lunchbox that I had in grade school though!

Much like the boxes, the lunches children bring here are very different from those that we are accustomed to. To begin, there are no baggies. NONE, not even the fold over variety. I have had to re-learn my foil wrap pouch technique, and put it to good use! The typical danish lunch would have many single slices of bread (dark bread) with a variety of spreads that are found in grocery store, seperated by paper similar to baking paper cut to size. Some spreads closely resemble spam, while others look suspiciously close to cat food. It was a hoot to watch Sophie look at the other childrens choices...and then happily consume her Salami.
***ADDENDUM: After having coffee with my lovely neighbor Tina, I have to admit...Peanut butter does not exactly look appetizing either! :) We started comparing likes and dislikes and had to say that so much of what we find appetizing begins before we even have the choice to make for ourselves! I could state that I grew up eating Chili (similar to Salsa but very spicey) at a very young age, or menudo (which is a soup made from the stomach of a cow..YUMMY!:), and that not many people outside of the Latino culture would consider eating such foods, and Tina said that Levepostej (SP) which is a spread made from liver is equally tasty. Soooo there you have it...we all eat "gross"foods, and do it happily. Thank goodness for diversity, or we would all live a bland existance. (sorry couldn't help the pun) ;)
Sadly there is not much in the way of snack foods for lunches, so no goldfish crackers or teddy grahams, but we have discovered digestive biscuits, which the girls really love, (So do I!) and Max has found a new favorite too...called Kiks. They are very close to Ritz crackers and he loves them. One of the bonuses is that every classroom has a refridgerator, so no worrying about the tuna salad going bad! They also eat in their classrooms with their teachers. There is definitely an emphasis on creating close bonds within the class during times like that. I am not sure if I mentioned it before, but there are only 18 children maximum per classroom.
***I also learned that those yummy digestive biscuits...loaded with fat...no wonder they are so yummy! ;)

Fortunately, there is nothing to worry about in the Dairy dept. either! There are a variety of cheeses, and yogurts to satisfy even Max's palate! Thank goodness! He has even started taking vanilla yogurt with strawberry protein powder. And that is nothing to sneeze at! The breakfast cereals have us covered with the standard Cheerio's, Frosties and a new one Havre Fras! The peanut butter, while not Jif, satisfy's Max's taste test too. The next box we have on display is a wonderful little treat...slices of chocolate that are put on fresh toast in the morning. The chocolate melts and is heavenly! Now THAT is a good way to begin a day! :)






















Food...necessary, yummy, comforting, all out gross! :)
We have found the full range of food experiences here - fortunately not all yucky! After shopping in the many shops in town we have some success in finding the foods that we know and love. The great thing is that we have also found new comfort foods that we didn't expect, and some that we don't want to live without! On the other hand there are those that stop us in our tracks and make us thank our lucky stars that we never ever have to experience those things again! :) Phew!

1 comment:

Kelli Nørgaard said...

The food gets easier.. I promise!

And if we get too desperate, we will do an order on foodfromhome.dk together!! desperate times call for high priced measures! LOL