Thursday, May 14, 2009

Popcorn words and an email








While being the youngest child in the family can have its drawbacks, there are also perks too. More experienced parents being first and foremost on that list! Knowing when to test limits and when it is in everyones best interest to step back and call for a time-out!

Traditionally children in DK begin børnehave classe (kindergarten) at the ripe old age of 6 turning 7 throughout the year. Being an 100% American mom, and having had two children who had just plugged through the transition from pre-school to kindergarten (ok, so what if we had to physically drive Max in to the am session, b-cuz he would have had a breakdown waiting til noon):), soooo the peanut (aka. Soph)went to school too. She has friends, has playdates and loves gym, and math. She enjoyed field trips and snack time too. However, what she didn't care for...everyday classtime. She said it was boring and even started singing outloud, to herself in class. :) My peanut is a stubborn and hardy sort, and she had taken a stand. I respected it. After talking to her teacher, the pricipal, the fritid leader and countless hours of talking to other parents. The unanimous decision was reached...the peanut would be better served by waiting until the next fall and go to class with children her age. (Not to mention the fact that her seatmates would be spared her songs while trying to listen to their teacher) However, she had mixed emotions and would not speak of it for weeks. We began homeschooling the American way - the only way that I know. Math, reading, and science experiments. We planted seeds in glass jars, watched the life cycle of the frogs, and have created beautiful masterpieces for the seasons. We have tried handball, tækwondo and now we are on to soccer. She has grown leaps and bounds and often out-eats her siblings. Because of that we have seen her shoot up and grow not only physically, but emotionally. Her temper tantrums have diminished, and her negotiation skills improved. She has learned to blow bubbles, tie her shoes and we are now on to two-wheel training. She is a determined and tenacious little firecracker.

Being no shrinking violet myself, I questioned the educators, as well as, the motives of my daughters behavior. Was it that the school was simply unaccustomed to the idea of having a 5 year old student, or were they acting pro-actively in Sophie's favor. I no longer question the decision. Without a doubt it has been a sound decision, with the obvious benefits displayed in Sophie's emotional comfort.

Initially, I questioned whether these issues were due to the move, and of course wondered whether we would have experienced similar difficulties in Michigan. There will obviously not be answers to those questions, but what I have concluded is this:

1. I am a prime example of a kindergarten do-over, and seem to have survived! :)

2. There were days in MI where taking Sophie to pre-school neccesitated feats of great strength and stamina. One day even testing her resolve by taking her to school in her pink footed jammies. (I used the "Love and Logic" parenting practice there - thank you Saline community ed! :)

3. Evaluating all of the information presented and making the best decision for my daughter that I believe possible is all that I can do!

The peanut and I have enjoyed the last months, and the time that we previously not had together. I had always felt torn about the peanut, because I was not able to remain home with her like I had with Bailey and Max. I had felt that she was somehow the one who had "missed-out" so to speak. I no longer feel that guilt. We have quality time learning together, and I feel so fortunate to have had these moments!

We meet with her new class next week for coffee and ice cream at the school, and get a tour of a campus she is already comfy with. It is a good system, a good school, and we are anticipating good times to come! :)

***
The pictures above are a series of popcorn words that are on Sophie's wall that we use in conjunction with reading. She is typing her first email to her grandparents -thanking them for her b-day package.

1 comment:

Kelli Nørgaard said...

So glad she will get to go and meet the class and the school before the big day in August!!! And so glad you 2 have had these moments together!!! Priceless!