Over Easter break we took the gang to Herning Fiske Sø (Herning Fishing Lake) to test our luck. We spent the first part of the day replacing power bait on all of the hooks, either it would fall off, or sneaky fish would swim by bumping it off to have a tasty treat. Daniel stopped by to give Bailey some pointers and drop off chocolate that he had purchased for us in Germany. Nothing beats a day outside fishing, and eating chocolate...well almost nothing. Catching a fish was first and foremost on the agenda. Who would be lucky? Would it be the fish or the kids? Max and Philip changed spots continually, with Max getting his hook stuck in the trees at least 3 times. Bailey took a more relaxed approach, she even set her pole down unattended every once in awhile to look at rocks and bugs. Sophie found a frog and decided that one lake needed more water so she took buckets of water from one to the other. I am certain the the people fishing around us loved how peaceful and quiet we made the lake that day! ;)
We bunkered down between two of the lakes and set up camp with the boys on one and the girls on the other. Sophie found a cozy nook and asked me exactly how long it really took to catch a fish. I responded by saying I was certain we would have one soon...thinking to myself that we would have to call it a day soon because everyone was getting discouraged. Then to everyone's suprise...Sophie felt a tug on her line. Finn hurried over and I ran to get the camera. (Big bummer camera battery died after taking the shots here - we have a cell pic of the fish though) Sophie and Finn struggled a bit and then there he was... a big, beautiful trout. She was laughing and happy...that is until Philip promptly made certain that the fish wouldn't suffer and killed it. To experienced fish catchers,(they might even be called fishermen :)), this is of course the natural procedure, to the newbies - myself included, we were rendered silent for the first time that morning! That is until Max suddenly announced that he had a bite too! Another flurry of activity and then Max's fish was up and out, and in the next bucket. Sophie had still not uttered a word. I, of course felt like a horrible mother for not preparing her, tried to explain that we would be eating the fish later and that it is ok to kill fish if you eat them. She was NOT convinced. True to my word, we went home, I cleaned my first fish and we bbq'd and consumed the freshest Lake Trout I have ever tasted. Yet, the peanut vows to never fish again. Sigh.
Max focusing on the best place to cast his line.
Finn and I had brought coffee with the idea that at some point we would have the opportunity to sit and drink it. With all of the bait changing and hook switching, I think that we ended up drinking coffee at home!
2 comments:
next time I want to see the pic of you cooking the fish on a campfire that Finn built.... :o)
Hi, Nice to see your blog! Your daughter Sophie really looks like you :-) .
It was really fun meeting you at Tara's house. I hope we can make that again further on (not necessary in Tara's house of course). Bye.
Post a Comment