

On Innauguration night, we were ready...American flag napkins - check, cheeseburgers and french fries - check, Apple pie and ice cream - check, oh and a gift from the Danish Rotary club for my speech on Obama the previous week a Californian red wine - check and cola for the kids -check.



I even found Tennessee buns for the evening, what a hoot with the foreign description below!
The kids were really good sports and hung in for the entire Obama speech before I let them off of the hook and they could play "quietly" so I could hear the political banter. :) I am not certain how much they will remember about this evening, but I thought it was so important to commemorate the event so they just might have a flicker of a light when asked about this evening years from now. Witnessing the first elected African American man to step into the highest office in the United States from a country an ocean away.
From the moment I witnessed the results of the election and read on the television in Danish first, Obama America's nye President at 5:02 am, to the 20th of January I was tuned in to the details. There is something to be said for seeing the goings on of the election outside of the US borders. To be certain there is pride, but it is mixed with a renewed awareness and responsibility to really know what you believe and why it is exactly that you believe it.
No comments:
Post a Comment